21 Portland Place, London
21 Portland Place is an elegant 18th century listed building, originally built on the ‘Grandest Street in London’.
Portland Place was initiated in 1773 as a speculation by two of the leading architects of the time, Robert and James Adam. It was originally designed as a series of private palaces, though the speculators quickly acknowledged that this was a little ambitious. This terrace, of which number 21 is the centrepiece, began in approximately 1776 and completed around 1778.
Today, 21 Portland Place is a Grade II* listed building, and contains a wealth of attractive features which are typical of the Adam style. Particularly fine examples are the ceilings of the main rooms – the Portex and the Intavent Suite – which incorporate ornate mouldings and paintings into their design.
21 Portland Place was purchased in 2002 and has been modernised to create a fully functioning office and state-of-the-art meeting venue with the very latest in audio-visual facilities, whilst respecting the beauty of the building. It is hoped that all visitors will take great pride in the history and fabric of 21 Portland Place during their visit.
If you would like to know more about 21 Portland Place, please contact us.